Wednesday, 19 February 2014

So Much For The Spirit Of The Game, Russia: LGBT Athletes Competing in the Winter Olympics are Being Targeted by Anti-LGBT Propaganda

Hello Everyone, let's talk about the Olympics.
A sudden realization came to me the other day after watching a Canadian Winter Olympics ad, completely unaware of the message it left behind. The advertisement featured two lugers thrusting as they were about to go down the course, ending with the statement:

"The winter Olympic games have always been a little bit gay, let's keep it that way".




(To Watch the Ad, Click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf9lwqBTgX4)









Oh. The Winter Olympic games? Isn't that taking place in Sochi? It's great that they're acknowledging gay rights, but why now? So I read the Huffington Post to read more about the ad's meaning, and it blew me out of the water when I read that Russia has been targeting homosexuals with Anti-LGBT propaganda. I was completely unaware of what being a homosexual meant, especially in Russia. And there are people coming from every part of the world to compete, in Sochi, including LGBT people. Homosexual athletes who are competing in Sochi have to come face to face with the fact that they are being discriminated against in the Olympics for their sexual orientation. So much for the spirit of the game, Russia. An athlete competing in the  Winter Olympic games should be judged on their skill; their sexual orientation should have nothing to do with it.




The minds behind who came up with this ad were The Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion. Their ad became viral on the eve of the Winter Olympics. As a result, attention has been drawn to Sochi, as they have come under fire for their recent anti-gay laws which have been established just last year. To be specific, Moscow passed a new law outlawing the "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relationships to minors" ("The Facts on LGBT Rights in Russia"). Russia only recently lifted the ban on homosexual relationships, but they are still a while away from welcoming gay pride into their country. Both the Russian community and government officials STILL look down upon homosexuality. Numerous Anti-LGBT hate crimes that take place in Russia fail to reach the world's attention, and news of their injustice is never highlighted ("The Facts on LGBT Rights in Russia"). Gay pride activists are often denied to organize pride parades as they are intimidated, or even arrested by government officials ("The Facts on LGBT Rights in Russia"). Additionally, Russia is one of the most dangerous countries in the world to house homosexuals . Russia is ranked 49th out of the 49 European countries in an annual survey conveyed by the Lesbian, Trans and Intersex Association ("The Facts on LGBT Rights in Russia").



Homosexual Olympians are being quietly discriminated against in the Winter Olympics, and unfortunately, they have not spoken out for it. Since they are visitors in Russia, they are showing their Olympic spirit and keeping politics out of the games. However, this policy of respect is not going both ways. Russia's citizens have been as patriotic as ever with Anti-LGBT Propaganda, and the Russian government does little to punish the culprits (Dahlberg ). Although Russia's culture's and traditions are meant to be respected like everywhere else, the Principle Six of the Olympic Charter states that "Discrimination in any form is not compatible with the Olympic movement " ("Olympic Charter"). This includes being subjected to any homophobic propaganda. Countries like America and the United Kingdom have acknowledged Russia's injustice in Vladmir Putin's legislation, but the Russian leader shows no signs of withdrawing from his anti-West agenda (Kaufman ). Canada's response to Russia's anti-gay propaganda laws resulted in the creation of their Winter Olympics ad. The message is aimed towards Sochi to support EVERY single athlete competing in the Winter Games; a message of equality. People from all around the world are encouraged to acknowledge this discrimination in hopes that Russia will some day withdraw from these laws.

First of all, I would like to give Russia some credit. They HAVE been improving their laws in the past decade to suit the needs of homosexuals. For example, homosexual relationships have only just been recently decriminalized in 1993 
("The Facts on LGBT Rights in Russia"). However, I feel like they just took a step back. It's not my place to be telling Russia how to run their country, but I find it embarrassing that there are still countries out there that are intolerant to homosexuality. Especially a well-developed country like Russia. I don't agree with Russia's gay policies, and I think they should take them down. Secondly, with these recent Anti-LGBT laws coming into play, I feel like Vladmir is trying to re-establish the traditional, homophobic, Russian lifestyle. With the West's democracy intruding and influencing most countries to better suit their culture, it looks like Russia is trying to keep their distance from changing too. And I feel like the more the world protests their growing old-fashioned traditions, the more patriotic the country's people are going to get. And of course, the most effective way to display their culture is through the national spotlight of the Winter Olympics. Russia is moving backwards into the past, and if they want to move forward like the rest of the world, they have to remove these incredulous acts. Or at least, remove their Anti-LGBT presence from the Olympics. Because it is no longer about the spirit of the game when a gay athlete is welcomed with anti-gay posters and looks of bare disgust.

So what do you guys think? 

Is Russia trying to protect their culture from western influence? Is it right to not only disagree with someone else's culture, but to try and change it? 
Should the athletes speak out for this injustice? 
How do you think homosexual athletes are feeling during these games? 
Please let me know in the comments


Works Cited


"The Facts on LGBT Rights in Russia." Global Equiality. Council for Global Equality. Web. 19 Feb 2014.


"Olympic Charter." Olympic. International Olympic Committee, 9 Sep 2013. Web. 19 Feb 2014.


Kaufman, Sarah. "Why Putin is Loving the West's Protests Against Russia's Anti-Gay Laws." PolicyMic. (2014): n. page. Print.


Dahlberg, Tim. "Olympians Stay Silent On Russia's Gay Propaganda Law." Huffington Post 17 2 2014, n. pag. Print.



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley, great post, i mean i never knew about this happening in Russia before reading your post. So here are my answers to your questions:

    Well in my point of view I think during the game athletes are more focused on the game than actually worrying about Russians anti-gay acts. However I do believe they are greatly being offended. I mean who wouldn't? If I were in their position I would be very upset and probably end up doing something I am not suppose to do. Well being that said, I think for the moment athletes should keep quiet while they are staying in the country because they are just visitors and they shouldn't be disrespectful for the country that is hosting them even if they don’t welcome them in their minds. Also the matter of standing up for these anti gay acts should be in the hands of the citizens of that country who believes in equality. I think if Russia wants to move forward, they should be the ones to change their way of thinking and acting towards transgender/homosexual people. I don’t know whether if it morally right or wrong to disagree with some else culture but I think people have the right to do so, however I do think its absolutely wrong to go and try to change it just because you don’t agree with it. people from other countries shouldn't interfere with the matters of other countries. I mean not so long ago Russia lifted the anti gay laws right, so I believe there will come a time when most of the people of the country accept homosexual/ transgender people with out interference from another country. In my opinion not just Russia but other countries are trying to protect their culture from western influence, for example in the article we have read in our class for the round table discussion, it is clearly states that the Ugandan are against the western influence. Also I think some countries are afraid of the western influence. I feel as if they are scared of the advancement in the western society. I believe they are afraid of taking that next step because it is so advanced that people in those countries are not ready for it.

    sorry for deleting my posts earlier because something was wrong with my computer and post i posted were not posted properly

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, if I said “Russia is just protecting their culture” that would be hypocrisy because just like the Ugandan President, who was also protecting their culture, created an environment where homosexuals sleep with one eye open. I agree that they are going back to their traditional beliefs to protect their culture from the western influences. However, they need to be more accepting of other views and cultures to be a better nation.
    To answer your second question, in some cases it is right to try and change someone’s else culture when a minority is threatened. Sometimes the saying “majority rules” doesn’t always solve a problem. Someone needs to step up for the homosexuals in Russia and help them.
    Even though the Olympics are over, athletes who might have experienced discrimination should speak about this matter publicly to prevent this from happening again. Since they are seen as public figures, they should take advantage of that and use it to talk about the issues in Russia.
    During the Sochi games, homosexual athletes must have felt terrified by the wondering eyes and the bias judgements the people around them had. They must have been very careful of their actions to keep the attentions away from their sexuality and unto their abilities.

    I believe no one should live in fear because of who they are. And for a nation to succeed, everyone must be accepted and treated equally despite their sexuality and looks.

    Great post Ashley!

    ReplyDelete