When you hear the word "rape" what comes to mind? 'Rape' is a self-explanatory word which definition reads; "the crime.... of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will," (Oxford University Press, 2014). Many people argue whether rape is a crime of violence, lust or power, but personally I lean towards the power argument. Now with connecting the topic of rape to in-class studies and discussions, I am going to focus on a universal feminist term coined "rape culture." This term came to be less than half a century ago. According to Emilie Buchwald , author of Transforming a Rape Culture, she defines the term as, "a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture both men and women assume that sexual violence is a fact of life, inevitable." Rape culture is real and evident in the 21st century especially in western society.
![]() |
| THIS IS A PRIME EXAMPLE FOR RAPE CULTURE IN THE MEDIA. |
Returning back to Buchward's definition, "it[rape culture] is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexually as violent" Aside from the BDSM* sexual fetish, it is taught through media, and communities that having a male force himself upon one selves is 'sexy'. But when the indecent act comes into real play it is 99% of the time frowned upon dearly. So why is society so hypocritical? Why does society feel sympathetic for the victim yet at the same time blames the victim? It is because society, with the exception of many, have concluded that women "ask" to be raped, with or without the knowledge of what's to come. It is believed that when men are put into situations where the female is wearing a mini skirt, and/or displaying cleavage that she is begging to be sexually assaulted and he has absolutely no control over his actions. I agree that seeing a large amount of skin, or a certain part of a human's body could provoke sexual desires in one's mind, yet performing an act that involves more than one individual without mutual consent is not right. We, both male and female (because it is a crime performed by both genders) as human have the genetic intellect to control ones own actions. In a TEDx, titled "We Should All Be Feminists,"** Nigerian Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie mentioned an incident that happened not to long ago of a female university student that was gangbanged by male students of the same university. It sparked conversation not all so humble. She quotes a male she'll left unnamed, "Yes, rape is bad but why was she in a room with four guys?" He was basically implying the men are savages and cant control their own sexual desires.Yes, there are external factors such as peer pressure, under influence, media, and rape culture as a whole but ultimately it comes down to the individual. In society how come the offender is able to push the blame onto the victim when in a legal court it's not tolerable at all.
This poster reads, "MY RAPIST DOESN'T KNOW HE'S A RAPIST. YOU TAUGHT HIM IT WASN'T HIS FAULT. I DRANK TOO MUCH, FLIRTED AND MY SHORTS, TOO SHORT. I WAS ASKING FOR IT. HE LEFT ME IN THE PARKING GARAGE STAIRCASE. MY (ex)BOYFRIEND SPIT IN MY FACE. HE CALLED ME A SLUT, HE CALLED ME A WHORE. I DESERVED IT. MY FRIENDS GAVE ME DIRTY LOOKS. THEY CALLED ME TRASH, NOT REALIZING IT COULD HAVE BEEN THEM. THIS CULTURE, YOUR CULTURE, MY CULTURE, TOLD THEM, TOLD ME, THIS WAS MY FAULT AND I SUFFERED. BUT, MY RAPIST DOESN'T KNOW HE'S A RAPIST. I AM NOT ASHAMED I WILL TAKE A STAND. SLUTWALK** DC 2011." This victim of rape takes responsibility for the act that happened, not because of her clothing, or flirtatious attitude but because she as an individual once agreed with rape culture, and didn't necessarily stand up to the new culture spreading rapidly around her.
Alongside the arguments where the victim is to blame an interesting spoken word poem came into play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQRkHcEyq8
Rape isn't an offense that has just recently came into play, it is a crime that continued through past centuries and sadly will continue for centuries more but the tolerance from informal sanctions such as individuals and society as an whole could obviously change for the better. I would like to complete my post with a poem that I am not going to go into depth about, it is to leave you pondering rape culture entirely.
Rape Culture (Cover Your Eyes) by: slk
"Rape culture is when I was six, and
my brother punched my two front teeth out.
Instead of reprimanding him, my mother
said “Stefanie, what did you do to provoke him?”
When my only defense was my
mother whispering in my ear, “Honey, ignore him.
Don’t rile him up. He just wants a reaction.”
As if it was my sole purpose, the reason
six-year-old me existed,
was to not rile up my brother.
It’s starts when we’re six, and ends
when we grow up assuming the natural state of a man
is a predator, and I must walk on eggshells, as to
not “rile him up.” Right, mom?
Rape culture is when through casual dinner conversation,
my father says that women who get raped are asking for it.
He says, “I see them on the streets of New York City,
with their short skirts and heavy makeup. Asking for it.”
When I used to be my father’s hero but
will he think I was asking for it? (will he think)
Will he think I deserved it?
Will he hold me accountable or will he hold me,
even though the touch of a man - especially my father’s -
burns as if I were holding the sun in the palm of my hand.
Rape culture is you were so ashamed, you thought it would
be easier for your parents to find you dead,
than to say, “Hey mom and dad,”
It wasn’t my fault. I didn’t ask for it.
I never asked for this attention, I never asked
to be a target, to be weak because I was born with
two X chromosomes, to walk in fear, to always look behind me,
in front of me, next to me, I never asked to be the prey.
I never wanted to spend my life being something
someone feasts upon, a meal for the eternally starved.
I do not want to hear about the way I taste anymore.
I will not let you eat me alive.
Rape culture is I shouldn’t defend my friend when
an overaggressive frat boy has his hand on her ass,
because standing up for her body “makes me a target.”
Women are afraid to speak up, because
they fear their own lives - but I’d rather take the hit
than live in a culture of silence.
I am told that I will always be the victim, pre-determined
by the DNA in my weaker, softer body.
I have birthing hips, not a fighter’s stance.
I am genetically pre-dispositioned to lose every time.
Rape culture is he was probably abused as a child.
When he even has some form of a justification
and all I have are the things that provoked him,
and the scars from his touch are woven of the darkest
and toughest strings, underneath the layer of my skin.
Rape culture leaves me finding pieces of him left inside of me.
A bone of his elbow. The cap of his knee.
There is something so daunting in the way that I know it will take
me years to methodically extract him from my body.
And that twinge I will get sometimes in my arm fifteen years later?
Proof of the past.
Like a tattoo I didn’t ask for.
Somehow I am permanently inked.
Rape culture is you can’t wear that outfit anymore
without feeling dirty, without feeling like
you somehow earned it.
You will feel like you are walking on knives,
every time you wear the shoes
you smashed his nose in with.
Imaginary blood on the bottom of your heels,
thinking, maybe this will heal me.
Those shoes are your freedom,
But the remains of a life long fight.
You will always carry your heart,
your passion, your absolute will to live,
but also the shame and the guilt and the pain.
I saved myself but I still feel like I’m walking on knives.
Rape culture is “Stefanie, you weren’t really raped, you were
one of the lucky ones.”
Because my body wasn’t penetrated by a penis,
but fingers instead, that I should feel lucky.
I should get on my hands and knees and say, thank you.
Thank you for being so kind.
Rape culture is “things could have been worse.”
“It’s been a month, Stefanie. Get out of bed.”
“You’ll have to get over this eventually.”
“Don’t let it ruin your life.”
Rape culture is he told you that after he touched you,
no one would ever want you again.
And you believed him.
Rape culture is telling your daughters not to get raped,
instead of teaching your sons how to treat all women.
That sex is not a right. You are not entitled to this.
The worst possible thing you can call a woman is a
slut, a whore, a bitch.
The worst possible thing you can call a man is a
bitch, a pussy, a girl.
The worst thing you can call a girl is a girl.
The worst thing you can call a guy is a girl.
Being a woman is the ultimate rejection,
the ultimate dismissal of strength and power, the
absolute insult.
When I have a daughter,
I will tell her that she is not
an insult.
When I have a daughter, she will know how to fight.
I will look at her like the sun when she comes home
with anger in her fists.
Because we are human beings and we do not
always have to take what we are given.
They all tell her not to fight fire with fire,
but that is only because they are afraid of her flames.
I will teach her the value of the word “no” so that
when she hears it, she will not question it.
My daughter,
Don’t you dare apologize for the fierce love
you have for yourself
and the lengths you go to preserve it.
My daughter,
I am alive because of the fierce love I have
for myself, and because my father taught me
to protect that.
He taught me that sometimes, I have to do
my own bit of saving, pick myself off the
ground and wipe the dirt off my face,
because at the end of the day,
there is only me.
I am alive because my mother taught me
to love myself.
She taught me that I am an enigma - a
mystery, a paradox, an unfinished masterpiece and
I must love myself enough to see how I turn out.
I am alive because even beaten, voiceless, and back
against the wall, I knew there was an ounce of me
worth fighting for.
And for that, I thank my parents.
Instead of teaching my daughter to cover herself up,
I will show her how to be exposed.
Because no is not “convince me”.
No is not “I want it”.
You call me,
“Little lady, pretty girl, beautiful woman.”
But I am not any of these things for you.
I am exploding light,
my daughter will be exploding light,
and you,
better cover your eyes."
my brother punched my two front teeth out.
Instead of reprimanding him, my mother
said “Stefanie, what did you do to provoke him?”
When my only defense was my
mother whispering in my ear, “Honey, ignore him.
Don’t rile him up. He just wants a reaction.”
As if it was my sole purpose, the reason
six-year-old me existed,
was to not rile up my brother.
It’s starts when we’re six, and ends
when we grow up assuming the natural state of a man
is a predator, and I must walk on eggshells, as to
not “rile him up.” Right, mom?
Rape culture is when through casual dinner conversation,
my father says that women who get raped are asking for it.
He says, “I see them on the streets of New York City,
with their short skirts and heavy makeup. Asking for it.”
When I used to be my father’s hero but
will he think I was asking for it? (will he think)
Will he think I deserved it?
Will he hold me accountable or will he hold me,
even though the touch of a man - especially my father’s -
burns as if I were holding the sun in the palm of my hand.
Rape culture is you were so ashamed, you thought it would
be easier for your parents to find you dead,
than to say, “Hey mom and dad,”
It wasn’t my fault. I didn’t ask for it.
I never asked for this attention, I never asked
to be a target, to be weak because I was born with
two X chromosomes, to walk in fear, to always look behind me,
in front of me, next to me, I never asked to be the prey.
I never wanted to spend my life being something
someone feasts upon, a meal for the eternally starved.
I do not want to hear about the way I taste anymore.
I will not let you eat me alive.
Rape culture is I shouldn’t defend my friend when
an overaggressive frat boy has his hand on her ass,
because standing up for her body “makes me a target.”
Women are afraid to speak up, because
they fear their own lives - but I’d rather take the hit
than live in a culture of silence.
I am told that I will always be the victim, pre-determined
by the DNA in my weaker, softer body.
I have birthing hips, not a fighter’s stance.
I am genetically pre-dispositioned to lose every time.
Rape culture is he was probably abused as a child.
When he even has some form of a justification
and all I have are the things that provoked him,
and the scars from his touch are woven of the darkest
and toughest strings, underneath the layer of my skin.
Rape culture leaves me finding pieces of him left inside of me.
A bone of his elbow. The cap of his knee.
There is something so daunting in the way that I know it will take
me years to methodically extract him from my body.
And that twinge I will get sometimes in my arm fifteen years later?
Proof of the past.
Like a tattoo I didn’t ask for.
Somehow I am permanently inked.
Rape culture is you can’t wear that outfit anymore
without feeling dirty, without feeling like
you somehow earned it.
You will feel like you are walking on knives,
every time you wear the shoes
you smashed his nose in with.
Imaginary blood on the bottom of your heels,
thinking, maybe this will heal me.
Those shoes are your freedom,
But the remains of a life long fight.
You will always carry your heart,
your passion, your absolute will to live,
but also the shame and the guilt and the pain.
I saved myself but I still feel like I’m walking on knives.
Rape culture is “Stefanie, you weren’t really raped, you were
one of the lucky ones.”
Because my body wasn’t penetrated by a penis,
but fingers instead, that I should feel lucky.
I should get on my hands and knees and say, thank you.
Thank you for being so kind.
Rape culture is “things could have been worse.”
“It’s been a month, Stefanie. Get out of bed.”
“You’ll have to get over this eventually.”
“Don’t let it ruin your life.”
Rape culture is he told you that after he touched you,
no one would ever want you again.
And you believed him.
Rape culture is telling your daughters not to get raped,
instead of teaching your sons how to treat all women.
That sex is not a right. You are not entitled to this.
The worst possible thing you can call a woman is a
slut, a whore, a bitch.
The worst possible thing you can call a man is a
bitch, a pussy, a girl.
The worst thing you can call a girl is a girl.
The worst thing you can call a guy is a girl.
Being a woman is the ultimate rejection,
the ultimate dismissal of strength and power, the
absolute insult.
When I have a daughter,
I will tell her that she is not
an insult.
When I have a daughter, she will know how to fight.
I will look at her like the sun when she comes home
with anger in her fists.
Because we are human beings and we do not
always have to take what we are given.
They all tell her not to fight fire with fire,
but that is only because they are afraid of her flames.
I will teach her the value of the word “no” so that
when she hears it, she will not question it.
My daughter,
Don’t you dare apologize for the fierce love
you have for yourself
and the lengths you go to preserve it.
My daughter,
I am alive because of the fierce love I have
for myself, and because my father taught me
to protect that.
He taught me that sometimes, I have to do
my own bit of saving, pick myself off the
ground and wipe the dirt off my face,
because at the end of the day,
there is only me.
I am alive because my mother taught me
to love myself.
She taught me that I am an enigma - a
mystery, a paradox, an unfinished masterpiece and
I must love myself enough to see how I turn out.
I am alive because even beaten, voiceless, and back
against the wall, I knew there was an ounce of me
worth fighting for.
And for that, I thank my parents.
Instead of teaching my daughter to cover herself up,
I will show her how to be exposed.
Because no is not “convince me”.
No is not “I want it”.
You call me,
“Little lady, pretty girl, beautiful woman.”
But I am not any of these things for you.
I am exploding light,
my daughter will be exploding light,
and you,
better cover your eyes."
-slk
Rape Culture (Cover Your Eyes)
Rape Culture (Cover Your Eyes)
1) If you agree that rape culture is evident in Canada, then list several examples where you have seen, or hear such "set of beliefs." If you disagree, then list vice versa examples, (Canadian society is completely against non-consensual sexual acts).
2) Which point/example/image/video spoke to you the most and why?
3) I stated at the beginning I argue that rape is a crime of power, do you agree with me or do you believe it is a crime of lust, violence, or other?
*Bondage, Discipline, Dominance, Submissive, Sadism, Masochism
**30 min TEDx video; "We Should All Be Feminist by: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc#t=1171
***SlutWalk began in Toronto in February of 2011. It began because a few people had had ENOUGH of victim-blaming, of slut-shaming and sexual profiling and policing. The rallies began when Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that to remain safe, "women should avoid dressing like sluts."
2) Which point/example/image/video spoke to you the most and why?
3) I stated at the beginning I argue that rape is a crime of power, do you agree with me or do you believe it is a crime of lust, violence, or other?
*Bondage, Discipline, Dominance, Submissive, Sadism, Masochism
**30 min TEDx video; "We Should All Be Feminist by: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc#t=1171
***SlutWalk began in Toronto in February of 2011. It began because a few people had had ENOUGH of victim-blaming, of slut-shaming and sexual profiling and policing. The rallies began when Constable Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto Police officer, suggested that to remain safe, "women should avoid dressing like sluts."
http://www.abbreviations.com/BDSM.Button Poetry. (Oct 10, 2013). "Pages Matam - "PiƱata" (NPS 2013)", from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQRkHcEyq8
Oxford Dictionary Press. (2014). "Rape", from
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rape
slk.(Jan 2014). Rape Culture (Cover Your Eyes), from
http://alexelle.com/post/72256419133/rape-culture-is-when-i-was-six-and-my-brother
WAVAW. (2014). "What is Rape Culture?", from
http://www.wavaw.ca/what-is-rape-culture/
TEDx Talks. (April 12, 2031). "We should all be Feminists: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at TEDxEuston", from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc#t=1171
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQRkHcEyq8
Oxford Dictionary Press. (2014). "Rape", from
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/rape
slk.(Jan 2014). Rape Culture (Cover Your Eyes), from
http://alexelle.com/post/72256419133/rape-culture-is-when-i-was-six-and-my-brother
WAVAW. (2014). "What is Rape Culture?", from
http://www.wavaw.ca/what-is-rape-culture/
TEDx Talks. (April 12, 2031). "We should all be Feminists: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at TEDxEuston", from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3umXU_qWc#t=1171


1)I do agree that rape culture is very evident in North American society. Despite society continuing to evolve and grow, sexual violence is still very common. Unfortunately, we live in a reality in which victims are blamed for provoking the crime of rape. In doing this, we tend to miss a very simple, yet commonly overlooked principle: it’s never the victims fault. As this cycle of blame progresses, we are continuing to normalize and excuse the crime of rape. During the time where my sister was in her 3rd year, there were a lot of rapes and sexual assaults on campus after hours. Due to the increased number of rapes and assaults, the police organized a large meeting with the student body. In this gathering, they discussed how unfortunate these crimes were, but went on to say that it could have been prevented. They mentioned that females should take extra precautions such as: not walking alone, wearing reserved clothing, etc. And in this, females are essentially “preventing” any crime from happening. Despite their sincere intentions, they shouldn’t be teaching how not to get raped, but how one should never attempt the crime of rape regardless of any situation or circumstance. 2) The image that spoke strongly to me was the 3rd image. This image was very sad and heart-breaking, but it carried a very vast and deep meaning. If we, as a society, continue to misplace the blame and guilt upon the victims, then we are essentially condoning this crime, and are justifying the actions of the criminal. That picture was a perfect example of unjust victim blaming. 3) I do agree that rape is a crime of power. Essentially, the motivation behind rape is the need for domination and control, rather than the inability to control one’s sexual urges. Many studies have showed that the major motive for rape is power, not sex, and many psychologists such as Susan Brownwiller (writer of the book “Against our will: Women and Rape”) have concluded the same concept. Therefore, I do agree that rape is not necessarily a crime of lust or desire, but of violence and power.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1)Yes, I believe rape culture is evident in Canada. With novels like 50 Shades of Grey that promote BDSM to a younger generation, this allows younger women to believe that forceful and abusive behavior is okay. BDSM is not a new fad, but the image it implies are young women makes them believe these actions are okay without even fully understanding what BDSM truly is.
ReplyDelete2) The spoken word poem called Pinata really moved me. The writer/speaker of the poem must have felt true hurt from the one overheard comment to inspire him to write such a beautiful piece of work. He counter-acts such a ludicrous reason for victims to be raped - because they're attractive. He also used innnocent minors as his examples. This adds more passion to his poem.
3) I believe rape is a crime of all 3: power, lust and violence but predominately power. The reason people especially those in relationships rape is mostly because they need to feel in control of life generally. They then go out to enforce their 'power' onto others. Also the lust ties in because power could just turn into abuse but the lust factors contributes to the actual sexual assault.
1) Not only is rape culture evident in Canada, it spreads all across the globe. Recently, there has been a surge in rape incidents in Canadian universities. Many news articles are proposing whether "there is a 'rape culture' on Canadian university campuses". By this alone, we can conclude that indeed rape culture is evident in Canada.
ReplyDelete2) The point that interested me the most was when you stated that "when the female is wearing a mini skirt, and/or displaying cleavage that she is begging to be sexually assaulted and he has absolutely no control over his actions". I think that exaggerates the point, because it goes both ways. firstly, nobody begs or wants to get raped, and secondly, it's extremely difficult for a sane and sober person to commit a crime like rape. It completely depends on the perpetrator - whether he/she is under the influence, or is mentally unstable, the situation varies greatly.
3) It could possibly be all three, even in the same situation. I say this because an individual would obviously feel powerful over another if they could force said person into sexual acts. They could feel lustful because of the nature of the crime - to fulfill their sexual desires. Lastly, it can also be a crime of violence because if it's rape that is being committed, then force upon the victim is clearly evident, therefore making it sexual violence.
That was a very thought-provoking post, Ashley. I have to agree with you that rape culture is definitely present. However, I would have been more skeptical of this term if it weren't for an incident that happened to me a few months ago.
ReplyDeleteTo summarize what happened, I made friends with a person who was under the impression that I was attracted to him. And I made it very verbally clear that I wasn't. In response to this rejection, that person used almost all the concepts that contribute to rape culture to excuse his harsh, hurtful actions that have occurred as a result. Excuses such as:
"She was texting me. She was hanging out with me. She gave me a hug. She went to see a movie with me (and two other people, which, by the way, was completely unmentioned in the dialogue)".
And I thought these gestures of kindness weren't provoking at all. I didn't even have to reveal skin for this person to feel provoked. In this misunderstanding, I was blamed for that persons pain of rejection, but I was more transparent than air with how I felt for said person. It seemed like these statements he said were in an effort to shift the blame on me, and they were. Fortunately though, it ultimately made him look like a bad person to others. And it is because of this that I feel rape culture is real.
People will shift the blame on the victim of a situation if they were provoking even in the slightest, most mildest of ways. And they will ignore the dangers of rape culture until it finally affects them directly. Rape culture is only going to become a social norm if we don't stop and think critically by looking through the perspectives of other lenses. Because only then will we find the truth in who is truly to blame.