Let's start this off with a foreign touch. I mean – who doesn't like foreign stuff, right? (Don't answer...)
I remember the first time I watched a South Korean drama. There was
something distinct about the whole thing and I was instantly hooked. Maybe it
was the humor that did it, or maybe it was the unique story line or the cool
sounding language, or maybe it was...the beauty? Now some might see this weird
while others might know where I'm getting at, and to those I say, "I'm
talking Kim Hyun Joong." To my embarrassing thirteen-year-old self, this
man (yes, man) was beautiful, and he was the reason I continued to watch that
drama and many others to come. I was sucked into a vortex (formally known as
the South Korean entertainment industry) where everything and everyone was
beautiful, and I loved it. Somehow, nothing about that perfectly crafted world
appeared to be wrong...


If you know anything about the South Korean entertainment industry, you'll know how heavily "look" oriented it is. Looks precede talents (but you definitely need both). Why? Because looks sell. People will watch/listen/buy/etc. if it involves pretty people. But let's say that a "non-looker" seems talented enough to fetch some gold, what then? Well no panic required! After all, “surgeons” make everything better, don't they?
In my obsession days, I will admit to have disliked some celebrities for the way they looked, and I did have battles with fellow fanatics on who looked better than whom. However, we all make mistakes and do things we aren't proud of and the most important thing is to learn from those mistakes (this might, or might not be a smooth getaway to save face). But the main point is, despite our moral teachings, we saw nothing wrong with the whole ordeal. It's normal in Korea so it should be normal for us too, right? That guy/girl is hotter than the other one so, obviously, they deserve to be more popular, right? The moral answer is so obvious yet it
contradicts the truth.
A sad reality of our world lies in how loose a grip we have on our core human values. Discrimination is morally wrong, but so are stealing and swearing until they become normal, everyday things. In an extremely advanced country like South Korea, discrimination based on looks is very clear-cut and obvious, not only to the nation, but to the entire world to see. Yet how many of us dare to see it? How many of us dare claim that our society is far from reforming and selling faces for money (if we don't do so already)?
![]() |
| The Cap'n huffed and he puffed and he blew hearts away. Beat that. |
But so what if famous people look amazing? Don't they always? Of course, and there's something really wrong with that. Besides them highlighting the "Looks Pay" phenomenon, they set the ever-increasing beauty standards for society. They are the extraordinary puppets of inter-linked industries that define what we should aspire to, then provide us with the tools (how convenient!) for a price beyond the bills in our wallets. And sadly, we comply, buy, and buy.
However, beauty standards are a truly complicated thing. I read in a paper once, "An ideal, by definition, can be met by only a minority of those who strive for it. If too many women [and men] are able to meet the beauty standards of a particular time and place, then those standards must change in order to maintain their extraordinary nature" (Saltzberg and Chrisler 143). Does this make pursuing beauty an eternity spell? Will there ever be a time when everybody will just come to love themselves? Well...probably not. See, completely overcoming beauty standards significantly depends on the self-esteem and positive psychology of the entire nation, and those are very tricky things. A person's self-esteem is like a domino structure. It's scary what a small push can do. Now imagine trying to simultaneously protect a million people's domino structures while repelling the powers of the ever-growing, ever-influential, ever-manipulative media and beauty industries. But does this mean we give up on trying to change? Absolutely not. Maybe we can't make everybody love themselves but when did we ever need everybody to make a change?
We need to start destroying the embarrassing paradoxes in our society. How do we have the face to demand freedom for women when we shackle them with definitions and criteria of what to be? How do we celebrate diversity and encourage individualism when we conform and mold people into one standard of beauty? We repeated "inner beauty is everything" until it lost all meaning and left no trail of its existence.
Nonetheless, inner beauty is everything. It's who we are. It's the only thing about ourselves we choose, we create. And it is what we should always judge others by.
"While beauty ought to be celebrated as a
source of joy, inspiration, and indeed a paradigm of Divine Artistry, one must
not allow physical beauty to interfere with one’s sense of justice, fairness,
and morality" (Physical Beauty and Its Effect). Beauty should, most
definitely, not define one's opportunities or the way they should be treated,
nor should it give anyone the right to discriminate against another. And finally, to make sure you leave having gotten something out of this, here's one of my favorite spoken word performances, titled Pretty by Katie Makkai.
Now you tell me about any of your personal experiences regarding something like this. Do you think I was right by placing the blame on media considering that people from society create it? Or do you believe media is under the power and influence of individual, money-vampire corporates? What about plastic surgeries? Is it acceptable to fix up an otherwise normal face to meet the standards of airbrushed billboard models? If not, why is there such a lack of opposition movements in our society? Why are people not bothered?
Thanks for reading! Stay awesome.



First of all, I would like to express my appreciation for you for bringing up an issue that has always been on my mind. I have always felt very sad and uncomfortable by the way men and women are portrayed in the media. However, I have also always thought that this was "okay" with everyone that we are living this way and if I speak up I would be the odd one out. I thought even the people that media and society considers “not-so-good-looking” have accepted this and think that this is how life goes. Unfair, unjustifiable, cruel and discriminating.
ReplyDeleteGoing back to the topic, yes I have something to say about this controversial issue. Because we’re all classmates and by using such opportunities we can get to know a little bit more about each other. I find it relevant to share my personal experience with all of you, knowing that it will remain confidential. Okay so here it is, I’m sure that none of you really know that I am a “model” at “Abercrombie and Fitch.” And get ready to burst out laughing, because by “model” I mean/the company means a “sales associate.” At A&F a “model” is a person who works at the sales floor, folding clothes to perfection and greeting every single customer. For those of you who have no idea what Abercrombie is, or don’t know why I brought this up. Bear with me I am about to explain everything. Okay so, Abercrombie and Fitch is a clothing company that has a really bad reputation and issues of racism and discrimination against certain types of people, mainly overweight (fat) people. The CEO of the company has clearly stated that “He doesn’t want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people,” “He doesn’t want his core customers to see people who aren’t as hot as them wearing his clothing. People who wear his clothing should feel like they’re one of the ‘cool kids.” I can only imagine your reaction after reading this. I personally think that this is one of the most powerful, dangerous and unintelligent things anybody can say in the 21st century. It makes people feel bad for not being what the media or society calls “beautiful” and lowers their self-esteem. Being one of the associates, I honestly feel pressured every time I go to work. I have to think about what I look like and spend hours in front of the mirror trying to look my best. By now you’re probably wondering why I still work there!? Well, for that I have no answer. I’m not going to lie, but in the beginning I was super excited that I got recruited, it boosted my self-esteem, I felt “cool” and most importantly it made me feel selected and “Beautiful.” Who doesn’t like that feeling? I guess we all do, and it feels good and maybe that’s why I still work there. Anyways that’s not my point, so going back to Maryam's question. Yes, I think the media is truly to blame for all these. If it didn’t demand “beautiful” people, maybe the retail industry wouldn’t too. Clothing stores wouldn’t objectify people and use the “good-looking” ones to do some marketing for their brands. But now, thanks to the media, they fear that they won’t be accepted if they don’t hire what the media calls “ideal.” This is just one of the ugliest truths about the “unfair” world we live in. :(
Check this out if you want more info about A&F: http://www.clutchmagonline.com/2013/05/abercrombie-fitch-ceo-explains-why-he-hates-fat-chicks/
Yes, I heard of that Abercrombie scandal. I still can't forgive that man (and I would normally never say this, but looking at that Michael Jefferies dude, his comments seem very ironic). But if it'd make you feel any better, here's a cool comeback from Kimmel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZxw1vydvwI
ReplyDeleteIt's sad how you, and me, and so many people out there think about and oppose this "beauty" issue, yet few of us are brave enough to protest it. It's like the bystander effect we studied in Challenge and Change where the probability of standing up to something decreases with the increase in the people watching because each person would wait for the other one to do something. In this case, we're dealing with all the members in a society so you could see how low the probability of advocacy is for this matter. And it's even sadder how the human instincts of conformity and belonging turn to stab us in the back in matters like these. Personally speaking, I know I can't do much, so I use my Hijab and my way of dressing as some sort of rebellion. I don't give people the chance to judge me by my physical appearance or bind me by their beauty standards. There could be MANY other ways to rebel and I want to encourage people to start finding them. I just really hate to think that corporates like Abercrombie and Fitch will come to control how much our children, and their children think they're worth. I refuse to let these crooks use their sickening standards to decide if our beautiful-little-everythings are or are not worthy of acceptance. And most of all, I would never want them to cause anyone the psychological stress they caused you.
If you decide to quit sometime, I REALLY hope you do it with a blast.
Before I begin my comment, I would like to add that as a fellow KPOP fan myself, Yes, Playful Kiss was the first drama I also watched that got me back into the world of "All things Korean" :) -- On another note, also as a fan, I too, see the struggle that Korean Idols face with having to look and represent this idea of being "perfect" ; eventually they all conform to society's rules (more like their companies) and get touch ups to make them look more "presentable." I agree with your article and it is sad but knowingly, society lets this issue go because beauty is everything when you really look at things. For example, when you go grocery shopping and are scouting around for fruits, lets say you want to buy strawberries, Okay? Your first thought is they have to look ripe, good, and not be broken down and moldy, are you not looking at their appearance? Even in these everyday duties like going grocery shopping, shopping, etc, you look at what looks presentable and discourage what doesnt. So it has come to my attention, that we look for beauty in everything, no matter what it is, living or not. I also admired your use of imagery in this sentence, "A person's self-esteem is like a domino structure. It's scary what a small push can do." To me that speaks the upmost truth of individuals in our society, that even a small word can play a part in how we see ourselves. Thus, we react to a point where its also abnormal because such negative things can be taken personally, such as comments on how we "look". Having to Be beautiful is a struggle and yet people dont see the true beauty in their [hearts] ; like you mentioned ; "Nonetheless, inner beauty is everything. It's who we are. It's the only thing about ourselves we choose, we create. And it is what we should always judge others by." Once again, this appealed to my emotions on a personal note, because personally speaking, I've always had people mention my looks and that I should be a model and so forth. As I may say so myself ( that will never happen) - not because of any self-esteem issues, but that I see how models are treated and brutally bashed for either being "too fat" or needing to fix their noses, and it goes against seeing real beauty. I think that when it comes down to it, whether or not, we as a society can change this issue, it will always exist because as the saying goes; "Beauty is pain" - people are always trying to fix themselves, such as one may add, getting braces, that enhances your appearance by fixing what others deem to be a "flaw" . So when you asked about plastic surgeries, for me personally speaking, I believe that it is wrong to some extent where people abuse this act by getting to much done but it ties back to what your stating that people just cant see the true beauty they have. Although just like getting braces, plastic surgery is what makes people feel more confident because they are fixing a flaw they deem to be unattractive. All in all, reality is summed up with a lot of harsh demands, to BE beautiful, and that being beautiful, basically means you got it all. This is a state of injustice to people who harm themselves daily because they dont feel beautiful, and I can only but speak for myself, when I say that, as a teenager in high school, the strive for perfection is a disease. However, the sad truth is there are people who have beautiful hearts- their traits such as being caring, understanding, honest, and loyal; are never looked at because, Oh, once agan, if you dont have looks to back that up, then you're not beautiful. Even so, its ironic how people will say that, it matters by what comes from within, but people laugh at this because this is not what "society" says. How horrifying and painful is it when you realize that people care more about looks then what really matters in life...
ReplyDeleteFirst off, OMG Infinite, B2st and B.A.P <333! Anyways society has certain expectations and each society has their own point of view. So we can't say Canadians are less accepting to men who wear makeup, because that is not a social norm for them. As for Koreans (if you watch reality shows with these kpop stars) they are expected to wake up early in the morning, get their hair and makeup done, and then they could start off the day. You rarely see any of them on camera without their makeup because they believe they don’t look “good” I mean if you know Tao from Exo, he ran for 2 miles while getting chased by fans because he had no makeup on. He believes he doesn’t look nice without makeup and this is what society has been telling him. For western societies it's obviously not “normal” for a man to wear makeup and this is when comments like; “Is he gay?” Or “He looks like a woman” are said about Korean males, I just go along with it. I mean how do you argue with people with a closed minds? And these men (Kpop stars) have millions of female fans, international and nationwide. So they must be doing something right if these millions of girls believe they (kpop stars) are not homosexual. But what if society is telling these men, without this you wouldn’t be this. SM entertainment (One of Koreas top music industry) tells the people they recruit “Oh you got in, but you will only debut after this surgery, because we believe that you will gain popularity if you looked a certain way” BTW if you didn’t know, Kim hyung Joong got a nose surgery (But now he has a bad boy concept, if you’re watching his new drama) I’ve been a Korean fan for almost 8 years now, and I’m basically used to the way they look. My mind has taught itself to enlarge my view on other cultures and accept them for who/what they are. It’s a norm for them to get surgeries or put on makeup. However, if we look back at western society, it’s always the good looking man who gets the girl. It’s rarely the average man. Or even super heroes, like you said Captain America (If you watched the movie) was turned into the ideal man/role model for both boys and girls. Girls want to marry him and boys want to be him. At the same time, these people have choices, everyone has a right to what they want. If people criticizes you your whole life of how tiny your eyes are, you are obviously going to want to change that (LOL happened in the drama All My Love) In the end of the day society builds up these issues and media just feeds society what they want. People are just not bothered of the expectations they set for themselves, but when it comes to others, it’s a whole different story. I loved reading your blog and OH wow look at the way Hyunseunng is posing. UGHG!!
ReplyDeleteThe most interesting quote that captured my attention would be. “To men a man is but a mind. Who cares what face he carries or what he wears? But woman’s body is the woman” this quote creates the perception that a women is merely just an object. From childhood it is engraved in our brain to conform to societies perception of an ideal women. we suffer and strive to achieve such an unreachable goal. an excellent example of this is many young girls role model Barbie. As a kid playing with this doll, I imagined she was the ideal beauty tall, curvy, blonde and stunning. Yet studies have recently showed that if Barbie was actually a real person .......
ReplyDelete• She would be forced to walk on all fours, because she would be unable to lift her own head
• She would be two inches taller than the average women
• Her head would be 20 inches and her waist would be 16 inches making her waist thinner than her head size. leaving space for only half a liver and a few inches of intestine.
• The odds of finding a women in this world who had a neck like Barbie would be one out of 4.3 billion.
• the odds of finding a woman with Barbie's waist would be one out of every 2.4 billion.
• Barbie would not have enough body fat to be able to menstruate, making her unable to become pregnant or stand due to the fact her legs are too weak to support her upper body.
Not only if Barbie was a real person would she look like an alien , but due to the her disproportionate body size she would be extremely ill. These statistics also reinforce the quote you mentioned,
"An ideal, by definition, can be met by only a minority of those who strive for it. If too many women [and men] are able to meet the beauty standards of a particular time and place, then those standards must change in order to maintain their extraordinary nature". This ideal standard has been dimensioned by the media, so yes I do put a great deal of the blame on the media. For them to plaster models that have been airbrushed and photo shopped and present them as real people is a form of deception. people struggle day and night and suffer from low self-esteem, eating disorders and mental disorders trying to reach theses unattainable goals.
Your question regarding plastic surgery, in my opinion it's just a means of initiating , and conforming to societies idea of Beauty. People go to extreme stakes to raise their self esteem and fit in , even if it may cost thousands of dollars in the process. For us to change as a society we initially need a social paradigm shift that eliminates how society puts a pedestal on beauty and instead put it on something more meaning full like intelligence, compassion, and inner beauty. this will hopefully allow individuals to just be themselves and happy with it.
Golgowski, Nina. "Bones so frail it would be impossible to walk and room for only half a liver: Shocking research reveals what life would be like if a REAL woman had Barbie's body." Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 14 Apr. 2013. Web. 21 Mar. 2014. .
I really do agree with you debate. The way media has defined beauty has truly made its mark on society. I can personally relate to this, because media view of the “perfect women” has really made an impact on me. I also agree with quote you used “An ideal, by definition, can be met by only a minority of those who strive for it. If too many women [and men] are able to meet the beauty standards of a particular time and place, then those standards must change in order to maintain their extraordinary nature", media has made achieving the perfection, hard to gain. Which I believe is because those in the media are VIP, and not everyone can be VIP or it defeats the purpose of being VIP. Now more toward your questions; the question u asked “Do you think I was right by placing the blame on media considering that people from society create it?” I don’t think media is to blame completely, reason why because influences are all around us, but it’s up to the individual those selves to be influenced. Media doesn’t have to influence individual if the person them self has a tight grip on their own person. What I mean is that if you truly love your self and believe in for self, then the influence of media can’t touch you. People have to understand that the media might portray one thing but it all comes back on the individual how acceptable you are to that influence. Also your question on showed people get plastic surgery to become look a likes of the billboard models, then obviously I don’t agree to that, because the person loses their individuality and become some else instead of being and loving how they were created. And, to answer the second part of your question about why there is not movement against this, well honestly I have no clue why. I guess well because it’s not very out their, yet. People tend to not want others to think they are trying to be some else and they prefer to keep this unwrapped. Also it’s more of an individual’s decision and it’s not really like people in society are being affected by it I guess. So that might be the reason why people not to get bothered by the issue. So over all; in conclusion, I really liked your blog, and it is a topic worth sharing. The topic reminds every one, especially females, that the media is a whole different world, and yes full of “perfect” people. By the can only be as perfect as you can make them, if you consider them equal to you and look at your self “perfect” then there you have it, your perfection shines through, no matter how you look and who you are.
ReplyDeleteBefore I begin I want to say that I myself am a huge kpop/kdrama fan myself and have been for few years now. I think every society has a certain requirement of how a person should look like. For instance when I watched my first Korean drama(Boys over flowers) I honestly was confused and curious to why they looked that way, but as I continued watching it I found myself loving each and everything about the way they look and talk. In my opinion, its all about a society's unrealistic perspective on how a person should be. Its very sad how people working in the media all over the world have to look perfect in order to have a chance to show their talent. I'm guilty myself of thinking like that sometimes, but if you see something in the media constantly about how you should look like, what kind of hair you should have and so on then naturally an individual is going think that as the perfect way of being a human being. I think a persons look is always put first rather than their inner self in our society. Many individuals suffer from self image problems which is definitely through media in our generation. But well its not only in our generation, media has always influenced people in the society regarding fashion, makeup, hairstyles, new products, etc. We always follow things that the media shows us, no matter if it is the body shape or fashion. I personally have gone through self image problems for as early as I could remember. Even as a child (probably around grade 4) I would always think why was I not skinny like everyone else? why do people say I look chubby and turn to my friend and say they look pretty? Now this obviously did not happen without the media and them showing perfectly structured people all the time. Even when I grew up I thought I didn't fit in with anyone and ended up going on ridiculous diets which did change the way I look but did not change the low self esteem I had about myself. But luckily my opinions changed a lot overtime as I came to realize that even people in the media struggle every single day about their looks and how false the entertainment industry can be.
ReplyDeleteOn the other hand plastic surgery is a very sensitive/controversial topic. If you look at it from one perspective, its okay for people to choose how they want to look like to be more confident in themselves, but from the other perspective plastic surgeries can be very dangerous and can make people want to get more and more until they achieve their ideal look.
In a society there are two types of people, there are ones who oppose to these things and think that the media needs to show realistic things to the world, and then there those ones who for some reason encourage the media even more to false advertise. It's very upsetting how the world we live in has become so judgemental and unfair. The process for making individuals around the world realize that looks are not important is going to take a very long time, and the sad truth is that no one really knows if this can ever happen in our society where making money seems to be the most important thing.
First of all, thank you all for commenting on my blog! I'm very sorry I'm only getting back to you guys now but I did read your comments back when you posted them so I hope you forgive me for the rudeness ^^;
ReplyDeleteI really liked all of your insights and I really really really appreciate that you decided to share them here. Below, I will share personal comments on some of your thoughts that especially caught my attention.
@Arita S, I really like your analogy about buying the prettiest fruits in the store. When buying fruits, we tend to choose the best looking because we know they would best serve our purpose of eating something nice since, with fruits, good appearance is associated with good taste. However, even though (believe it or not) I am yet to find a good looking strawberry that isn't horribly sour, the fact remains that I would still go for the pretty ones next time because I'm absolutely certain the "less-pretty" ones will taste bad. Keeping this in mind, there is a very sad and disturbing reality that surfaces when we compare humans to fruits. It might not be the most accurate comparison out there, but it highlights the fact that it became an unconscious reality, no matter how wrong, that "less-pretty" people are less worthy of our love, ourselves included.
Your ideas regarding the modeling industry and the pressure embedded in society to be perfect are spot on. It is definitely a disease, if not more.
I'd also like to point out that, reflecting on your last sentence (How horrifying and painful it is when you realize that people care more about looks than what really matters in life...) it's actually more horrifying that they care more about looks because, to some, looks actually became all that mattered in their lives!
@Mariam Alim, Canadian and Korean society norms are indeed very different. However, the fact that media figures have to be wearing make-up whenever they're on the screen is sort of a rule in every media industry in every country by now! However, the Tao incident shows the difference between our norms since, even though celebrities here will be slightly bashed by media if they're caught walking around with no makeup (or praised depending on – brace yourself – “how good they look”), celebrities there are scrutinized to no end.
And I did notice Hyun Joong looked different...are they gonna change him up every time there's a new concept or what??
Oh and I did get the urge to argue and say Yoseob is the star of the poster… So much for the "let's stop the shallowness!" on my part :(
@Munira Hassan, the Barbie facts blew my mind...and the fact that someone out there is striving for something so disturbing is just sad. You're absolutely right in that we need a paradigm shift in society-a huge one stopping the pattern seen along generations by finally steering towards the positive side.
@Tuba Riaz, regarding your argument on the responsibility of the individuals to control how they’re influenced, I'd like to argue that growing up, we are blank slates or sponges that absorb everything given to us. The need to conform and fit into our community is a basic, natural instinct. If the media is everywhere around us and the majority of the people around us conform to the ideas of the media, we will naturally think that those ideas are true and are the norm. People can only decide whether or not to be influenced if they know they're being influenced in the first place. You won't ever come to truly love yourself and oppose media ideals if everything around you tells you you're unworthy. Media is dominating so much that the only thing that would make society question and rise against their preaching is education. And while education is busy trying to wiggle off the handcuffs put on it by politics, media runs wild and free, finger painting our generation with colors so hard to smear off.
ReplyDeleteThat’s just my personal opinion though. Be sure to tell me if you feel that I’m missing something important!
@Nirvana Np, your 4th grade story reminds me so much of a similar situations that happened in my grade school. I remember in third grade (in an all girl school), everyone and their parents would dote on this supposedly very beautiful girl and I'd overhear girls sighing and wishing they were as fair and beautiful. Needless to say, the 7 year old, "rebel-against-everything-mainstream" child I was, the whole ordeal confused me and made me wonder why she, in particular, got to set the standard for being loved and called beautiful by everyone when I could pinpoint other pretty girls in class too. Looking back, it makes me wonder when and how I started setting criteria for beauty. It's a really scary thing that even among children, the need to be beautiful is over-bearing.
I absolutely agree with your last statement (“and the sad truth is that no one really knows if this can ever happen in our society where making money seems to be the most important thing”). As economy and finance govern the world and money defines power, we are left wondering if ever society will be given the true meaning of liberty. It’s so overwhelming and overbearing that it makes me want to scream for them to just stop. It feels like being tied up at the bottom of a mountain, staring up horrifically at an avalanche I know I can never stop.