Wednesday, 30 April 2014

WOMEN’S DISCRIMINATION STILL LIVES ON



For over many years, women were seen as inferior to men. They were discriminated and thought as weak. However, with the modern way of “thinking” and with all the law enforcement on equality and women’s right activists, many (but not all) consider that discrimination towards women has faded away. But let me tell you something, they are wrong! To me it feels as if the western society is blind to reality due to propaganda
like “women rights” groups and “equality” for women campaigns.
I am not actually saying these campaigns for equality and these women’s rights groups are fake or they are just pretend, but the way I see it some people often think just because these things exist, women’s discrimination is taken care off and no longer an issue in today’s society. In reality, there are countries that discriminate towards women, for example while I was searching on the web I came across an article that was posted not so long ago. The article mention although there have been major improvements on women’s rights in Afghanistan; the discrimination towards them hasn’t faded away. The article goes on to say that women in the country are suffering from abuse, violence, poverty and above all lower wages. The article mentions that women who works (makes carpets), makes only around 50 U.S dollars per two months.
To the article above, many (not all) might response with a “so what “, and say that Afghanistan is a developing country and not all countries are like that. But that is not the case; every country has some sort of discrimination towards women.  
When discrimination against women comes to mind, the two major subjects that pop up is sexual harassment and rape.
However, women are discriminated in various ways. For example the work force in U.S. when I read the following article I was surprise to find out that women are still looked down upon in their worked fields.


THANK YOU 4 READING

Questions 
Do you think the topic women discrimination should or shouldn't have an importance in today’s society?

According to the second article often men are chosen over women for higher position in the work fields, but in your opinion do you agree with the article?

Do you agree with me when I say often some people believe discrimination against women has faded away because they are blinded by propaganda like women’s right groups and equality laws and campaigns?   
 

                                                                     Works Cited
“Afghan women still suffer from discrimination and poverty." Pakistan News service. 20 Apr. 2014. Web. 25th Apr. 2014.

"Gender discrimination hasn't disappeared." The Dallas Morning News. 11 Apr. 2014. Web. 19 Apr. 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dewmini, I agree with your blog 100%, and I appreciate that you brought up and discussed this significant topic of Women's discrimination. Firstly, the topic of women's discrimination is extremely important and should be thoroughly mentioned and discussed. Gender discrimination is still very common. Despite that we have made some improvements as a society, it is still a devastating issue currently happening in our world. For that reason, the topic of women discrimination should have an importance in today's society. In my opinion, despite that some occupations have improved with regards to equal wages (Teaching professions, nursing) some corporations continue this trend of discrimination and inequality, with regards to wages and salaries. Therefore, I do agree that some private corporate jobs may choose men over women, with regards to higher positions in the business sector. I do agree with your statement to a certain extent. Yes, lobby groups and equality campaigns are currently happening in our day an age, which is showing some growth and advancement in our society, regarding gender discrimination awareness. Therefore, I do believe that these campaigns regarding women's rights and equality laws are helping our society grow and prosper into an equal and fair society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete